R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Need charging help please!
View Single Post
Old 03-18-2008, 09:54 AM
sptrtrucker
Tech Apprentice

Li-po's are easy most batt that are used in like 1/10 scale that drive the car are 2 cell 7.4 volts, then the traxxas came along with there 60 + brushless stuff and then all these company's said ohh boy to get these speeds we need to make up a 11.1 volt cell with 3 cells and this has now confused everyone mainly caus alot of company's came out with chargers made for the market that only charges 2 cell li-po, there are some guys that are running 11.1 li-po in there cars but u have to have a speed control that will handle it, I have a gtb control and I call novak and asked them if I could run a cell like that and I thought he blew my ear drum out with his nooooooooooooo. It seems a few people are doing this and speed controlers are going poof and then saying why? If u had a charger that chages 3c then a 11.1 volt li-po would be good for that starter box but if your charger doesn't
To this guy that is scared of a li-po pack starting on fire, it was the same thing when we went from ni-cd to ni-mh batt if people charge a batt with the wrong charger things will happen, last summer I was running 1/10 cale electric and 1/8 buggy at a race and I was charging my li-po batt then it was done and I told my wife to hook up my receiver pack (ni-mh) for a quick charge and she left on the li-po setting and after a couple min I smelled smoke and that receiver pack was up in flames, it can happen to any batt if charged wrong. I have been sitting back and listening to everyone about li-po's for awhile and it seems that the hobby stores are the one's really saying bad things about li-po's and brushless, I was in a hobby store (and I wont say which one) in milwaukee, wi and the guy behind the counter was doing this and I pointed out the pro's of li-po and brushless and he said thats right now we don't sell brushes,springs, motor lathes, batt bars,shrink wrap,and wire.
Saying they are more expensive my 2 daughters and my wife all have one batt and one charger, we go to the track they charge up practice, then run a heat or 2 and then recharge and run a main and then go home, batt-$90+charger-$79= $160 With the ni-mh batt each person had 4 batt-$30-$50, charger-$60 and then I would have to sit around and match cells, build packs all week and forgot about the discharger-$25 so total up around $250-300 each