R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2008, 07:49 PM
InspGadgt
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by boscoj
Noob (3 weeks) currently trying setups on a tight technical clockwise carpet course. The record on the current track configuration is 7.62. I'm futzing around in the low 9's. There are 10 turns, 7 are right and 3 are left.

I'm focusing to much on the course.

My real question is, how do you "square up" the front end relative to the rear? Is there a surefire way to center the steering "rack" and make sure your tie rods are the same length?

Then, what toe would you run? The only way I can get my car to turn in is with about -3 camber and what looks to be about 3mm total toe out?

I know I'm doing many things wrong but what say you?

tia
Well if you are running a t-plate car you don't need to square up the rear to the front as the t-plate takes care of that. If you are running a link car with adjustable links then you have to worry about it. You'll need to measure both links and make sure they are the same length and that the suspension has no bind in it. It's best to use a digital caliper for that. For the front suspension there are a few different alignment tools to use to set your toe and camber. Personally I use the Holeshot one but it is hard to find. I can't remember what the others are called but I'm sure someone will pipe in here soon with that information. You want to run very little toe, how much is personal preference. If you are having problems getting the car to turn in you may need a different tire setup, a softer front tire or softer front spring will help increase front grip.