R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - BMI's DB12R
Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 PM
mike ivy
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

Hey Scottrik,

Don't focus to much on lighting your car just concentrate on other things... setup, etc,etc. my car is on the heavy side because I use alot of steel screws I like my car to be durable. I use spray cans to paint my bodies ghetto style Lol... and thick bodys with alot of decals LOL...

My lap times are either on par or more over the fast guy's at my track.I just focus on my driving and car setup. Seriously... it works, you can be just as fast with a heavy car or faster than a light car. All this lighting stuff is in the mind and some people kind of stress out about it.

Dont get me wrong, it pretty good to have a light car but don't stress if your car is a little heaver than your competitors. remember It all in the mind

Hope this helps
Mike

Originally Posted by Scottrik
I've got the aluminum screws throughout (about a half ounce there) and should have mentioned those. I've got the lightened diff rings.

The sub-800g car I refer to has 12 diff balls AND a Slapmaster thrust assy (I don't on this car), has a front bumper, etc. Not sure about the shims--any odds on a set of machined plastic shims from BMI (though I really like my 2 sets of aluminum ones)?

I'm afraid I give up most (all?) of the weight savings discarding the aluminum servo mount by adding ShooGoo and longer ball studs, regardless the minimal savings are reduced significantly.

For now I guess I install the JR3650 servo (lightest of the 3 different digital 1/12 servos I've got) and install it flat with ShooGoo, install the Tekin B-1, and do a "light" paintjob on a lightweight Speed-12 and see where I'm at. From there I start grinding on stuff. I don't do too much hard crashing--maybe Jason can pm me some suggested holes to enlarge or where to create new. Right now I'm not straying from 12 diff balls and I'll try to stay with the aluminum front spacers.

Anybody else?