R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Mugen MBX5R
Thread: Mugen MBX5R
View Single Post
Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM
Cain
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by windellmc
On the 5R front arm issue, I found the first run of front 5r arms were pretty brittle on the pillowball end when the weather was cold. They would last okay in warm weather though. Pillowballs would pull out and/or that part of the arm would break off.

In May/June Mugen got new arms in that fixed this problem. You can tell the arms apart because the newer ones are about 1mm thicker at the pillowball and there is extra material underneath and behind where the swaybar mounts on the arm. These newer arms are bombproof.
Well, must have a set of the old arms for sure. I replaced the side where I got the hairline crack. The other side at the last race basically tore clean out, shattered at that area. I'll post a pic. I am going to take a look at all the sets I have sitting around to see if they will have that issue as well. Wonder if mugen would send me replacements for the ones that are still NIB but the older material?

Anyway, at the last race I tried a setup that the winner last time used. Holy crap the vehicle could turn on a dime, it was WAY too much steering for what I was used to and I was all over the place. Didn't drive well at all.

I know this has been brought up before, but I wanted to get a fresh confirmation without hunting for it too much:

1. For the MBX5R chassis versus the MBX5 chassis, what exactly is different?

2. For the MBX5R Shocks versus the MBX5 shocks, how much better are they?

I am trying to decide on either buying a full on MBX5R and put my conversion stuff on that for my brushless setup, or, just finishing up my conversion to an MBX5R by putting on the shock towers and shocks.