R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2008, 12:38 PM
sport10
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Mater
This is an old question ,but I really need some advice.My 8ight is awesome on practice and qualifiers,but as soon as the track get ruff(rutty,big holes,and jumps wear out)it is as if I loose control. I run the M T setup and 1deg xtra caster in front.Where should one start on the setup and what must I do first. I am always worried to make changes if the buggy is ok and try to drive around the bad sections but somehow the bad section move in front of me!I qualify well but loose it in the mains due to the fact that my setup is wrong. Somebody please help!!!!!
Going down to 5000 weight in the center diff will help but also do not forget to look at your tires. They are 80% of the setup of a buggy. Try some Proline Bowties M3 compound to help in resisting the ruts and bumps. Also, try messing with the rear droop some like going to 108 or 110 mm. More downtravel in the rear suspension sometimes helps with making it handle the rough better. The rule of thumb I was always told about suspension setup was the use the springs to adjust traction and oil/piston to adjust for how rough the track is. Either a larger hole piston or lighter oil is needed for absorbing rough track. I would concentrate on the rear suspension as it does the most work in rough track handling.