R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TRF416 / TRF416WE / TRF416X
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2008, 08:13 AM
TryHard
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JimmyMac
Uhhh, I will get back to you on that. If weather is nice tomorrow, I am suppose to do some setup testing on asphalt. That's what I normally race. I will do a direct comparison test for you with just a 3 degree setting. And then a 1.5 degree setting. And I will get back to you on that. I do have a general idea of what's its done in the past. But I want to be sure. I think in the past it let the rear end break free easier. And might of increased on power steering to a certain point. Where more toe made the car push out on power. However, I had an odd instance on carpet with foams (on my EvoIV) where more rear toe made my car rotate quicker (or better) in a hair pin turn. Either that, or is just made it more stable which seemed to make it rotate better.
Hey Jimmy,

Don't forgot if you want a true comparison of the toe setting, to alter both front and rear blocks, as if you change just one end, you'll also be widening/narrowing the car... Admitidly difficult to do when you drop down to 1.5, as you have to change one or t'other at some point

What I mean (and this is for others reading here, not you really, as you probably already know this ) is that a XA/B is narrower than a B/E setup, but gives the same amount of toe.
Also the wheelbase lengthen too (regardless of blocks) hence why I only moved my rears back 1mm, rather than the 2mm I had been suggested

Having said that about block widths, I still found the widest possible better on the rear. I will try A/D at some point next time out though, too give a comparison, as I wonder if the rear will rotate better still slightly narrower.

My concern when going to less toe was losing some mid-corner... but having run yesterday with 1.5, no reason to worry. Couple in the addition of slightly less drag for better straightline, and then couple that again with increased corner speed... I was able to get away with a slightly higher gearing than before, simply cause I could carry more speed

Interesting thought on the weight thing too, might test that out as well, just swap some spacers round and try the whole chassis 1mm further forward.

Certainly agree with you on the ball diff too... it's just awesome. Using the Jaad covers is the best way, along with the Jaad balls and thrust, plus I sand the rings with some (damp) 600grit, to lightly etch the rings. Result = one ubber smooth and long lasting diff, thats easy to set... Tamiya got this diff spot on IMO

Let us know how you get on with your testing.
Cheers
Ed

Last edited by TryHard; 02-18-2008 at 08:56 AM.