R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Truggy Choice
Thread: Truggy Choice
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2008, 07:31 PM
rcjunky10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 227 (100%+)

Originally Posted by shorty15
I am trying to decide on a truggy and I have narrowed the choice down to the Kyosho St-rr or the Xray XT8. Which one should I go with? What are the pros and cons of both? Thanks.
The XT8 was my pick for the truggy class, a close second would be the MBX5T, which may be getting a face lift later this year so you may want to sit tight on that one. As for the XT8's pedigree, it's Xray for one, which means it's damn near indestructible and offers a whole host of tuning options. The latter can be a bit daunting but if you can tune an Xray everything else should be rather simple...

I race against ST-RR's, 8T's, MBX5T's and a myriad of others and the Xray outshines them all. The handling is superb once you get your setup dialed. To me the Kyosho is a nice ride but it feels heavier than my Xray and didn't seem to have near the turning radius of my XT8, same being said for the Mugen and Losi. The Xray truggy is doing so well in fact that Xray is, for the most part, going to leave it unchanged, for the hobby industry that's saying something. I doubt you will see that from Kyosho. I believe the XT8 will get new BB shocks and possibly new shock towers, unsure on that last part.

If you buy Xray you will not be disappointed. I believe a good litmus test for a car is the frequency with which you see folks getting rid of them on the auction/forum sites. The other brands far out pace Xray in this area. You will see very few Xray's for sale as folks keep them forever, upgrading when and where possible but most tend to stay with Xray.