R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Associated TC4
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 PM
DaveW
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

::Stock Motor/Rubber Tire/Medium Grip Ozite::

This is for the tub Tc4. It works fairly well in keeping up with the local belt cars (Corally for the most part). Posting this setup in no way means its the shizzle... but a decent driver can be competitive on a local level on the cheap with this car. I am actually surprised how well the car works with rubber tires on ozite. This same car with foams on the same track would reach a limit in performance, and go no faster. For the most part it has all of the stock Tc4 components, but some are also the common swapped parts from other kits (Losi primarily). I will go ahead and list the swapped parts first in hopes to avoid confusion later.

Front steering knuckles and caster blocks are from the Losi XXX-S, as well as the rear 0 degree toe/0 offset hubs.

Schumacher grippa ballcups with Lunsford Ti turnbuckles. Bulletproof.

XRay shock spring sets. This was the single most effective change by any part on this chassis. Im not an XRay chassis fan, but damn if these springs didnt wake this chassis up!

My electronics are nothing spectacular. The tried and true Novak GT7 and a XX-L receiver round out the bling. A die-hard Airtronics 94357 serves the wheel inputs. The motor of choice during this particular day was a revived Green Epic teardown. I tried the Blue Epic teardown, but it lacked some needed rpm in my case, both geared 100/32. Cells are forward mounted, and the current generation Trinity 4600 IB's. Air temp was mid 60's. Im also running a Tc3 carbon mainshaft using the Tc3 cups.

_______Front_______

Aluminum suspension mounts: Triangle (4 shims) and Circle (3 Shims)

Arms: Back .090

Caster: 2 degrees

Ackerman: Silver ballstud + .060

Bumpsteer: Silver ballstud + .120

Camber link studs, both silver, inner stud + .030 in the inner hole

Steel diff, tightened to the point of avoiding slippage

Thick AE blue CVD bones

No swaybar

Droop screws installed, but not touching the chassis during use

Toe: -1

Camber: -1

Shocks: XRay white springs, Uno shafts, #1 pistons, Losi 50wt oil, no limiters. In on the arm, hole 2 on the tower.

NOTE: AE blue threaded bodies with the plastic stoppers from the newer AE bladder kit in place of the original "foam compensator" setup. I use an old school bleeder screw (in stock Tc3/4 shock cap) method for shock bleeding, but 0-10% rebound should get you in the ballpark, regardless of bleeding procedure. If the car rolls a little too much for your taste, try the next stiffest spring on all four, and/or a little more rebound in your shocks.

_______REAR________

Aluminum suspension mounts: Circle (5 shims) and X 3.0 (5 shims)

Arms: Front .090

Hub Wheelbase: Short

Camber link studs, both black, both inner hole

Plastic diff tightened to the point of avoiding slippage

Standard Niftech CVD bones (opt for Tc3 composite bone)

No swaybar

Droop screws installed, but not touching the chassis during use

Camber: -1

Shocks: XRay white springs, Uno shafts, #1 pistons, Losi 40wt oil, no limiters. Out on the arm, hole 4 on the tower.

NOTE: See front shock info.

Car was balanced on an MIP tweak station. It balanced well with my current electronics... needing only a few slight turns on the collars to perfect, after setting the ride height to 5mm. Weighed in right at the legal limit. Also, the 4600's dont fit the stock tub well w/o some modification, and the battery brace is useless. I customized the chassis battery slots and added slots for battery tape. Body used is a Protoform Mazda 6 with 1/2" trimmed off the stock wing, side dams unchanged. Tire sauce is Paragon, and tires warmed to 100 degrees before hitting the track. Tires used were Sorex medium premounts from Nexus Racing. They have close to 1.5mm air gap. The car rotates well like my XRay T2 did, but has the snap of a shaft car off the corner. It also checks up really quick... something a belt car lacks. The dual diffs dont work as well in medium-sized sweeping corners against one-way equipped belt cars... but its a beast part throttle in the twisties.

PIX: These were taken a bit ago... i have changed the car some since, and they arent the best, but it will give you an idea.