R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - mugen mbx5 aftermarket shock springs
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2008, 03:40 PM
Mugen MBX-5
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by slow coach
match springs to oil/piston combos if your damping is heavy you need a stiff spring to return the shaft if the damping is soft you can run a softer spring to do the same job its a balancing act, the idea of a progressive spring is the initial travel will be soft so for small ruts it will soak them up easy as the shock compresses further the spring starts to get stiffer this will help landing off jumps etc hth.

you have the clutch bells/effect the wrong way round the 10t will rocket off the line the 18t will be like a slug off the line but if it ever gets there a good top speed, stick with either a 13 or 14

also should mention if you are using mugen 250 oil you should not have problems with the shocks not reacting they should be way to soft and bottoming out and returning like crazy, you must have some other problem bent shafts or something binding maybe an arm check the arms with shocks and roll bars off make sure they drop nice and easy under their own weight

so my soft mugen 250 oil and a hard spring wouldnt be the best combo? i can put like 450 oil in it, would that help?

those progressive springs sound perfect, i want something where i can drop my car from 15 feet and not have it bottom out, but yet still be kinda soft.

about the clutch, i seen a 18 tooth clutch on carolinas and decided to try it out, the curiosity was killing me. i assumed it would work like the rear sprockets on my bike. the big one with 20 or so teeth ("granny gear") reaches top speed instantly... but isint very fast. and the top speed gear (like 10 or so teeth) takes forever to get to top speed, but when you do its like 60km/h. guess rcs are different.

the shocks are actually pretty decent right now, i have 250 oil in them, stock grey springs, nothings bent(as far as i know), and i have 12mm and 16mm spacers in the front and back respectively. it still seems that when i drop it from about 3 feet high, it bottoms out and the chassis bangs against the ground... i dont want that. or maybe im expecting too much out of it seeing as i ride a dh mtb with 10 inches or travel. and im assuming the car should feel like my bike... very soft yet damn near impossible to bottom out.

and why the hell isint anyone answering my "carolinas vs amain reward program" question.. im sure im not the only one wondering this...

thanks for all the help guys