R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2008, 11:42 AM
AChupp2
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Slapmaster6000
Wow, I got to work for a couple of days after the holidays and I miss out on the diff conversations. Thanks to everyone and especially Scottrik for the fill in explinations.

The Delrin spacer was desinged to have some "crush" to it to act as the spring. The lip on the spacer was designed to center the spacer on the outter lip of the hub bearing but not be too deep that it interferes with the shield. If it does interfere, it's been crushed pretty hard at one point, but can be easily fixed by "lightly" sanding some of the lip down. You don't want this spacer to touch the 1/4" axle as it would cause drag.

If anyone has problems with their diff thrust kit, please contact me.

I respect anyone that is trying to make their racing effort less expensive and reach their desired goals. The thrust kits I sell are for the guys who want to fix the diff and move on. And just like any tuning item, there are probably 98% who have tried the thrust kit, wont take it out. The other 2% want to have the super free but short lived diff that look for the tiny bit more turn in.

Another fun fact: it takes roughly 3 years to wear out the average thrust kit. That's racing 19t or mod, once a week for 6 months over the course of 3 years. Average life span of a conventional hub bearing could be 2 race days. That would be roughly 36 hub bearings at $5 each or $180 worth hub bearings over the course of 3 years. That's probably fun math, but it's a comparable.

As far as diff balls, at some point, I have used 'em all. I personally like carbides and fill in all the holes. I have run into many guys who build better diff's then I do because they spend the time. I just rip a set of D rings out of the bag, install a set of carbides, put a tiny dap of Asc grease on each ball, a drop of oil on the thrust (which I am still not sure if it's necessary) and tighten up till it hurts your thumb to slip the spur gear. If it squeaks on the track, tighten it just a little more. Done.

I don't even take spare rings or ball with to the track any more.

Seriously, any trouble with my diff kits, don't hesitate to contact me.

Brian
Which Associated grease do you use? The black label or red label stuff?