R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - MD/PA/DE racers, where to race??
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
JasonRP
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default I want to RACE! In MD!!

Originally Posted by mdoffroad
The hobbyshop in Bel Air, HobbyWorks I think it is.. the guy Kevin there, has been racing as long as I have (close to 2 decades here) and says they are hoping to get a race going next year as Bel Air Plaza has room and a GREAT newly paved lot for it. I also found the host the Tamiya Championship at one of the other stores..
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get racing with my Tamiya for over a year now- I have a TB-02. I'd like to get started in racing. A long time ago (maybe 10 years or so ago?) Hobbyworks in Rockville (or is it Gaithersburg?) used to really try to get people into Tamiya racing with stock "silver can" motor- any Tamiya 1/10 sedan kit, as long as it had the stock motor. Is this what is now known as Spec racing? Or is this GT-2?

Either way, I really, REALLY want to get out there and race! I'm in Odenton, MD, and I find it a bear to get out to "the Track", which is closer then the 1 hour drive to Frederick for me..

There has got to be something closer then that- we've got at least 3 pretty big hobby shops around here- GPA hobbies in Crofton, Hobbyworks in Laurel, and Hobbytown USA in Glen Burnie. I'm not sure if Doug's hobbies is still around- anyone know? My guess is, if an organized race was available local, and flyers were put out to these stores advertising the racing, we'd have no problem getting enough racers- newbie and experienced. Hobby shops may even like it as it would be promoting things you can buy in their stores.

If something will start up near here, I'm all for it- and I'd like to help out any way I can. If not, anyone around here want to try to put something together? Anyone know of a local parking lot with nice smooth asphalt? Maybe bring back this "silver can" Tamiya racing thing if it doesn't already exist.

Jason