R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2003, 07:30 PM
rayhuang
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Set-up ideas for newbies

Its been awhile since a post like this-so here goes: This is not meant to be a "do this" sort of post, but its is something to consider-especially for begginers or wanna-be's like me!!

Setting up a Sedan is pretty straight forward once youve tested enough and played around enough. But I have to admit that getting the balance, speed and efficiency out of a 12th scale to be a daunting task at times. Black Magic!!! And add to that-many set-ups require a change in driving style to get the most out of it!!! hence why you can drive the TQ guys 12th scale and think it handles terrible-but he is whicked FAST!!!

But I am slowly learning that a balanced, easy handling 12th scale can also be a slow 12th scale car. And sometimes an edgy- fast feeling car can also be slow......Sad, but true. but I digress from my point of all this and that is-form as many constants as you can as you learn your car. For example-and again this is just me-when in doubt-I always go back to Blue side springs on my Speedmerchant Rev.3 and I always run JACO rears and they are always sauced full for a minimum of 20 minutes!!! Oh-and I always run Losi med hydra fluid in the dampers. Hmmmm... come to think of it-I always run 3 degrees of caster and a slight amount of rear pod droop. These things basically never change.

WHY????-because the center spring, shock oil, front springs and front camber, toe out, ride height, rake, front tire compound, width of sauce on frnt tires, diameter of tires are enough variables!! But very effective variables!!! Learn those first!!!

So in closing for any 12th scale newbies-dont give-up on 12th scale. Just make it as simple for your self as possible!!!! And make your car as easy to drive as you can to start. Also-baby your 12th scale because it is a precision instrument. Take care of it-rebuild it often and also rebuild it EXACTLY the same time after time after time!!! Think of it like this-A 4wd drive car is a hammer and a 12th scale is a scalpel.

Let me give you an example from this week. A newbie in 12th scale was trying to drive his brand new 12th scale. it was SO bad he couldnt even make a corner. problem??? He sauced his front tires 100% and had never driven 12th scale before!!! WOW!!!

Also-those weird things you see the fast guys doing-like making endless circles on the track right and left and playing with there radio buttons 1" from there faces, and putting quarters on top of the front tires till they fall off and constantly resetting the trim on the straights before every race- LEARN-em-DO-em!!!! Its a ritual, its required!!!! ITS FUN!!!