R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
DOMIT
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
Yep... That's me. No prob Domit. I saw you working on that thing and said oh crap! Thought you could use the help to make your race.
Glad you did.

I'm with you guys on this but there is a little thing about what this guy is saying. A Mach 427 with all alum shoes and if he's running the stock pipe, will blow the tires off the car! That is an amazingly strong motor for a buggy. Sounds like your rear end is staying stuck to get the front end to unload as well. Might try a setup in your clutch that will not spin the tires soo much and restrict the motor as well.

Going up in the center diff oil will make the car harder to drive. You might give it a try.

Inconsistant?? That is in the hand of the driver. The Losi is easy to drive fast. That means it is easy to overdrive and go slow. That is what I like about the car. Relax and haul a$$!
TEX
I posted this in his other thread, but, here goes:

This is counter-intuitive... but... going down in center diff fluid will make the car less aggressive. I run 5-5-3 or 5-5-2, depending. That makes the car pretty friendly. I've driven one with 5-7-2, it was a bit edgier and harder to drive, BUT, with a good driver it is probably faster. I would suggest 5-5-3 as a good starting point on the 8ight. Light diff fluid will give it less awd effect, so it DOES hurt the acceleration slightly... but... it tames the car down a bit.

To keep the rod ends from popping off you can put a conical washer (small side toward the rod end) to "capture" them. Easy fix. However, if you are popping rod ends off, you're probably hitting stuff... the next weakest link will then be the thing that lets go... probably still the rod end, but breaking instead of popping off. So... would you rather have to pop rod ends back on, or break them and have to replace them?

As for not clearing the triple... well, it COULD be your ride height is too low, and you're scraping the chassis over the jump... but I would say it is more likely related to the first thing you said. If you are spinning the tires, you aren't accelerating efficiently. Going up to 3 in the rear in diff fluid will help a little, but the biggest difference is learning to roll into the throttle instead of treating it like an on/off switch. I know, because I have that very same problem! Set your ride height to the factory recommendations and it will be good for all but the most extreme tracks.

Also, when you say the car is "drifty," do you mean the steering is too sensitive? Unless you have really quick reactions and a lot of driving experience, be sure you are running the long ackerman plate. Additionally, if you are running the RTR, you should consider a different transmitter. The DX2 (not the DX2.0, the regular DX2) doesn't have exponential. What exponential will do is allow you to slow down the initial part of the steering, without affecting overall turning. The car will be less sensitive on small steering inputs and make it feel more stable, without giving up any turn radius. You could even use exponential on the throttle to slow down the speed at which the throttle opens, as a crutch. I could probably stand to do that myself.

If you are running that huge engine with all aluminum shoes and relatively heavy springs, it's going to be really "snappy" on the low end. Go to lighter clutch springs to make the clutch engage sooner, it will tame it down. If you are running the 13 tooth clutch bell, go up to the 14 tooth. And most of all, tame your throttle finger down. Smooth and gentle, not jerky! (yeah, yeah, I know, I need to take my own advice there... it is much easier to say than it is to do!)

I hope this is helpful. It is interesting that I was afraid of the Losi because of all the comments about how edgy the car is, blah blah blah... it simply isn't true. This car IS very precise, and it WILL lull you into overconfidence because it just does everything so well. It will tempt you to over-drive it... relax and be faster! It is easy to drive, and forgiving if you don't just push it to the point of craziness. It responds instantly to whatever you tell it to do.