R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Help on buying truggy for $350.00
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2007, 10:12 AM
DOMIT
Tech Elite

Location: Fort Worth, Texas, USA, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Universe
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Ok folks... let's be honest here. NO $350 RTR is going to approach the quality, durability, and performance of a decent kit. It just isn't going to happen.

The cheapest you will find a decent kit NEW is about $400. Then you need a radio (WIDE range of options there!) servos (plan on $50 each MINIMUM) motor (I think you can get a 3-port Go for like $100) pipe ($50 and up) etc. Figure $800 MINIMUM for all new stuff. Then you still need to be able to start it (ignitor and starter box) unless you go with a pull-start motor (you'll hate that, both from a durability AND effort perspective) or roto-start (cheaper than a starter box, but not as durable as using the "bump start," and more weight on the truggy.)

About $500 will get you a decent RTR buggy... not a GOOD one, but a decent one. Not sure if you can find a decent RTR truggy that cheap or not. I haven't looked. This is NOT a cheap hobby... the $350 RTRs are ok for bashing, but not competitive in racing. They aren't as durable, they aren't as fast, and they are harder to get parts for. The servos will die a quick death in most cases, the engines are not as powerful OR as durable, and many parts are not equal to the quality of the better truggies.

I made the mistake of buying one of those cheap RTRs to start in this hobby. It was like driving down the highway and tossing money out the window. Don't do it.