R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Hopicomponents: the universal diff. solution
Old 12-11-2007, 12:18 PM
plecofish
Tech Rookie

Default Hopicomponents: the universal diff. solution

Here I am to introduce you a new hop-up for both our off-roads models, buggy and truggy. Born out of the mind of Domenico Mezzabotta, an Italian modeler and devised in order to answer the problems of bindings and fast wear that plagued the differentials of its 8ight...may be of everybody’s 8ight!!!
Domenico has put “bearings” in the outdrive cup pivots, a not easy job considering parts small sizes, but not impossible… how? By using high quality steel.

The kit is made by Hopicomponents and its under patent pending.
Each kit contains two special diff-outdrive cups made by high quality steel, produced with high precision CNC machine tools and many steel rolls of 1 mm diameter each one.
When Domenico has decided to begin this adventure, he phoned
me asking if I could take care of the reliability and durability tests.
He sent me a set of prototypes so I could start my job!
Well, I treated them badly for one month both on buggy & truggy and now I can
tell You … those stuff is extremely reliable and give You a great increasing on overall traction performances: I never had failures of the product and the wear is not still percepibile.

Which are the PROs?

-remarkable low friction between diff housing/ring gear and the outdrive cup pivot
-long lasting of the new outdrive cups made by high quality steel
-less stressed areas on satellite and planetary gears, they works firmly
-lower temperature when differentials works
-less alteration of the viscosity of the silicone oil thanks to minor overheating of the case
-a better torque distribution on the three differentials

How to install the kit?
Simply put a film of high quality graphite grease on the outdrive cup pivot, then insert 15 rolls for each cup. The outdrive cup pivot is ready for being inserted in the diff housing and/or in the ring gear.

this is what’s happened to me in
The A-Main of the Italian Truggy Nats....

It will not happen any more!

Currently only the kit for Losi 8 is on sale, but Domenico is working on many different brands: so You will find in short time more kits for Jammin/HN, Hobao, Kyosho, etc.

You can buy the kit directly from www.hopicomponents.com.

Notice that the product has been positively reviewed on the Italian RC magazine
"TRUE MODEL", in the December 2007 number.