Thread: BMI's DB12R
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 03:30 PM
protc3
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by mtbboy
Thank you sir.
What is interesting is that I originally thought of going ceramic throughout the kit because Someone had suggested replacing the diff bearings with ceramics to improve diff performance instead of the slapmaster kit.

That someone was Frank Calandra at the iic in vegas.
The durability issue is definately a concern for me though and I tend to agree with you on that.
What is your opinion on the slapmaster thrust replacement.?
The slapmaster thrust bearing is a nice option. When i am at a big race i run just a flanged bearing. I do this because there is less resistance being that the force is being placed on the inner ring and not on the balls themselves and i feel it makes the car rotate better. With a thrust bearing, the washers sandwich the thrust balls and this creates drag. This is more rolling resistance in the diff action. The more free the car is the better it rotates. The more resistance your diff has the less free the rotation of the car is and the car pushes more than usual. For club racing, the thrust bearing is great. I dont need to worry about the diff getting nasty on me. It stays together alot better. Thrust bearings are designed to take extreme side load where standard ball bearings are not. If you dont hit much you will get alot of time out of a standard bearing in the hub. If you have your share of crashes and just want trouble free racing, get the thrust bearing