R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Break in stand
Thread: Break in stand
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2007, 02:32 PM
griz11
Tech Addict

Default I went a step further with mine

I bought the Nanda and have had no problems with it. Running dragsters it isn't that easy to break in one in the car so I went to a bench instead. Added an rpm sensor,temp loop and servo to mine. Wrote a little control program for it and I can even use it over my home network. Go out start up the motor then head back in the house for the peace and quiet and lack of fumes. Another way I found to instrument the thing is to use one of the Spektrum on board telemetry units. I had one I used with my sprint car so I hooked that up one day and except for the working over the net part it was just as effective. Next step is to create a program that will hold the motor at a pre set temp and rpm range. I also made up a heater from a tin can and an old heating element I scrounged out of a hair dryer. The prop puts out a lot of air and its hard sometimes to get the motor up to temp without the heater. Usually only use the heating element to warm up the motor at first and maybe through the first tank when its super rich and hard to get up to temp. Then its just a wind break essentially. I started working on this trying to build a inertial dyno. But I found out the wheel was going to cost me an arm and a leg and the housing to contain that puppy should it come loose was going to cost even more so I blew it off. Been using the computerized bench though and its been putting out great motors. I used the Phidget servo controller as well but used a microprocessor develoment kit instead of a pc to run it. Phidget makes some pressure transducers that make a nice balancing station as well. One under each wheel. A lot less expensive than the commercial units. If you know how to write code.

Griz