R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya TA05 IFS
Thread: Tamiya TA05 IFS
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2007, 12:22 AM
junn
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dingo_cross
Hi all, I currently have an 05R, and I am contemplating doing the conversion, mainly 'cos it looks cool (especially the ebbro body...). The question I have is, how durable is the setup? I am still a bit of a newbie, racing toward the back of the local club 'intermediate' 540 class, so still hit the wall occasionally. Are there any parts I should get extra of or should I skip the conversion altogether?

It seems from the thread that the performance (ie handling) should remain similar to how it is at the moment, so I am not too concerned about that, just about the potential for breakage.

The track I race on is indoor carpet, I think it is a reasonably technical track. (I dont have much to compare it too, but the mod guys do about 12 second laps, and the good 540 guys are around 14.5 seconds, and there are usually two hairpins, a couple of chicanes, and the main straight is around 30 meters)

Thanks in advance!
Hey bro

I have done the same conversion, TA05R to IFS. I use mine in 23T. I replaced the front diff with a spool and I have a heap of steering. The only thing I had to change was the ride height. The IFS is a little low in the front so I levelled the chassis and it may a heap of difference (was breaking traction entering a corner) The body looks the part.

I bought the aluminium crank arms, N Parts, 3x9.5mm step screw, rocker nut, and the 3x28mm turnbuckle shafts. All went together pretty easy.

When you screw the bottom ball joints onto the lower arms for the push rods, make sure at full lock on the steering, that the rims are not rubbing on the push rod ends, this happened to me and I used the dual rates to change it but moving to the next hole would be the best idea (which I am going to do)

See if you can download the manual from the Tamiya USA site, its worth a read

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	22112007071 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2864
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	287284   Click image for larger version

Name:	22112007069 (Medium).jpg
Views:	2471
Size:	99.6 KB
ID:	287285