R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 PM
andrewdoherty
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by odpurple
I've never attempted that modification before, although it sounds easy enough to do. Drill a hole in the back of the steering block big enough to clear the e clip or nut to a measured depth so the axle sticks out of the other side farther.

There's another, and I think better, way to get a wider front track. This works for any style of front end:
For the wheels that use unflanged bearings (like Jaco wraps), take a 5/16" propeller reamer and cut down the outer edge of the flange in the bore of the wheel that stops/locates the bearing. The amount you cut off will determine how much you will widen the front track, then put the same amount of spacers behind the wheel.
For wheels that use flanged bearings (like Parma) use a 3/8" prop reamer and make a counter sink where the flange rests on the outside of the wheel. Then space the wheel out as mentioned above.
In either case, if you move the outer bearing in by, say, 1mm; the track will be 2mm wider
I knew I could count on you guys! Thanks. I have enough steering blocks I might try counterboring it. If it works I'd rather do the adjustment once on the block rather than every time on the wheels . . .we'll see. : )