R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - question about shock springs and oil
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 03:49 PM
what happened?
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by DR ZAIRUS
I'm sure the bottle isn't 500ml (aprox 1/2 quart would be a life-time supply!!!). Maybe Mugen makes smaller bottles than other brands??

I use Ultimate Racing silicones. It doesn't say contens (?!), but it's about the diameter of a tennis racket grip and as high as the width of your hand. It seems to me about 50-75 ml....?? Although, the bottle looks very small, but I can still fill about 6 shocks (regular, not big bore).

Anyway, this is a detail without impotace. The main thing is to seal of the shocks (changing o-rings) and fill them balancedly.

Depending on the track, you can strart with medium Ofna or Mugen springs with silicone arround 35-45 in the front and 35-40 in the rear. Then do tests and adjust to improve performance...

I hope all this helps, as we all strugle with set-up...BTW the best way to improve performance is...practice!!

first of all, im Mugen MBX-5.... i know im not allowed to make another account, but theres something wrong with my Mugen one, it says im disabled or something??? i didnt do anything wrong did i? i never got any warnings or emails... anyways...

this is unbelievable but my mugen rear shock only holds 5ML of fluid.... wtf, it sure looked like a lot more, so your right, that 50ML bottle will fill 10 of my shocks, and thats from bone dry to completely full. that gets one question outta the way... now i still need to order fluid (im thinking in getting 500 weight to stiffen the suspension up a little but).

fill them balancedly?? i dont get it, and if my little black rubber thingy seems to be leaking, is there any way i can fix it or what? i dont want to spend ANY more money on this junk himoto, i havnt ran it in a month and EVERY DAY i find another thing wrong with it .

im thinking on getting springs with a lot of coils, so the rebound is fast, and high oil so the dampening is kinda slow, is this smart/good? I DONT RACE, but i think my mindset is still trying to deal with DH MTB suspension that has 9 inches of travel and holds like 250ML of fluid.

and what do you mean by 35-45?? is that for the springs?? does it take 35 LBS to bottem them out or what? or did you mean 350-450 fluid?? im new to this sport and KNOW NOTHING about ANYTHING.

thanks a lot for all the help

ps: whats wrong with my mugen account, did i do/say somehting i wasnt supposed to... i sure dont think i did.

edit: because its a pretty junk suspension, what would you recommend for the weight of the oil i use and springs, im sure getting super stiff springs and thin oil isint a good combo (or is it?), i just want this supension to be as good as possible, i want to be able to hit a small jump and whatnot, it feels like this car has NO suspension, its junk if you ask me.