R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Why are buggies built this way?
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Robert.Hull
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Originally Posted by DOMIT
I guess I tend to over-analyze things... but maybe one of the manufacturers will see some of this and put it to use...

1) Why is the ackerman plate and related steering linkage stuff on top? Why not put them down in the chassis, UNDER the front driveshaft? It would help lower the CG AND help prevent some of the slop in the steering.

2) Why doesn't everyone make the center diff mount in such a manner that you can remove the top portion with the brakes still assembled, leaving your setup intact? Mugen does this, but some of the others don't. I even thought putting the brakes UNDER the diff would be a good idea, until I looked at how complex the linkage would get... lol

3) Why don't they make a "quick change" gearbox case/bulkhead/whatever you want to call it? Make it so the hing pins remain in place and you simply remove the top of the section at the front or rear of the car. MUCH easier to change diff fluid for different track conditions! Put the swaybar to the inside, not hanging out front or in the back to further simplify matters. It would be nice if changing a front or rear diff was as simple as changing the center diff.

4) What's the deal with hump packs? The stick pack batteries, especially if you lay them down, would lower the CG of the car. For that matter, make it so the mount is somewhat adjustable to allow weight bias to be adjusted front to rear.

5) While Losi had a good idea in reversing the way the teeth face and keeping the pinion on the same side for the front and rear diffs, I don't personally think they took it far enough. Offset those gears further to keep the driveline STRAIGHT. Put the pinion in the same spot on both ends, and build the ring gear so it is offset enough to clear the difference- offset to the inside on the rear and to the outside on the front. Less wear on the CVA's.

6) This is specific to pivot-ball cars: Why not use spherical rod ends with bolts to retain them instead? Make an "E-hub" so the rod are sandwiched between portions of the hub, so the retaining bolt is ONLY loaded in shear.
Spherical rod ends will take huge loads, and virtually no wear, so no slop and inconsistancy.

Ok, enough of my rambling for now. Anyone else have any ideas to improve buggy technology? This stuff almost makes me want to design one myself, and find some third-world country to set up manufacturing in.
looks like your looking for a CEN matrix to solve all your problems with the losi you have i take it???