R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Corner
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2007, 03:16 PM
Skiddins
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Shawn Palmer
Hey Guys,

I wrote a comprehensive FAQ and care-and-feeding guide to the CORE lipos that's currently buried somewhere on the website, but here is a direct link:

http://www.secureonlineshopping.biz/...&pagewidth=550

I've been Lipo and brushless only since '03 in cars (and for much longer in aircraft) and it's about time everyone else is finally accepting the ease of use, simplicity and FUN that running them brings back into racing/bashing. We in the car world are YEARS behind the power system understanding curve when compared to the flight side of the hobby. Fortunately the slow seeping in of brushless/Lipo tech into the car side has now become a flood of new products and information.

While setup is certainly not my personal forte, you can consider me your personal power consultant and guide to help navigate you through the array of "new" technology now coming into our use like wildfire.

I've been pounding the first production CORE lipo pack almost daily since I pried it out of Adrian's hands back in June and it's still performing at 100%. The coolest thing about it (pun intended) is there isn't anything I can throw at it in a car that even comes close to it's capability limit. I've even had it in our GTRe 8th scale onroad car to the tune of 60mph, and where a couple Mamba Max systems did NOT survive a full run - the CORE pack had heated up to a whopping 10deg above ambient temp.

My other favorite feature about it is that I can show up to the track early on race day, or on a practice day and run a solid and continuous 30 minutes of practice time. No "peak" to get over in the first few laps, and no power decline through the entire run - just consistent power lap after lap for a half an hour. I don't know about you guys, but that much practice time is like GOLD for me.
Just seen this on a UK forum, has anyone else experienced what they think are performance increases with Lipo, depending on charge rates?

Lower Amp Charge = More Speed?

This is one test I will have to try again but ....

Sundays Aldershot meeting.
2x Trackpower 4900 LiPo

The two packs were charged up on Saturday evening (had used them during the day) and they were charged from the mains at 4A (maximum charged rate on my charger), now on Sunday when they were recharged I decided that as I have time I would only charge them at 3A.
Now my first 2 runs (slightly messy, must learn to drive) were only 19 lappers, but the 3rd (and final qually) the car felt smoother but faster enableling me to set a 20 lapper and a new personal best.
Now in the finals (2 legs) I am sure I had much more straight line speed as well as a smoother power band.
Now the only thing changed was the drop in charge rate to 3A, so is this something new with LiPo that a slower charge can give more power?

As I said at the top, I will have to try this again ('cos I like to post only facts)