R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - GT class--buggy-based on road!
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Arboleda
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)

(Double-post).

Looks like it's still developing quite a bit. Most people seem to be in the camp of wanting a spec class (with the Kyosho GT kit and engine) or are looking for an open class where any buggy goes, any engine, any tires, etc.

I think the people who like the idea of a spec class want to keep it from becoming a class with upgrade-creep that can add a lot of $$$ and take too much work to keep up with the next guy. Very understandable, keep the field level and fun. The three Kyosho slicks seems like a good idea because at least you're containing the choice to three tires.

The guys who like the idea of the more open class definition seem to like the idea that offroad guys can repurpose their cars, keep the tire selections wide open, do whatever to the drivetrain, etc. In addition, if people are getting really passionate about the class, it's natural to want to evolve an open class as far as engines and drivetrains and bodies go. This is where I'm at personally.

We're somewhere in between the two classes in Utah. We really don't have enough racers to formalize the two and run them separately. But I've seen the race director run two classes (such as Monster truck and electric 1/10th) together and the neat thing is that the results show up separately in the printouts. For example if you had four open class racers and three spec-class racers, you'd race all seven in the same heats but the two classes get to see their own results. I think at a track like ours in Utah, this may be the best way to go.

Last edited by Arboleda; 10-21-2007 at 02:21 PM.