R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - a few questions about RB concepts engines
Old 10-20-2007, 09:30 PM
rossii
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)
Default breakin in of engine ,rb c6

i am quite keen on the rb c6 t7. heard the latest is the c6 t7 something like tat. one question ,wat is the actual procedure need to be done for breaking in of engine.

i heard things like, shimming (say 1.0mm)up the engine first. then run low percent of nitro. after tat remove the shim (the 1.0mm shim put in 0.3mm, cant really remember the thickness just an assumption). run back 25 percent of fuel. after 2 or 3 galloon then fine tune the engine to optimum performaace.

are all these necessary ?

Originally Posted by rezenclowd3
I have used my WS7II (same power/speed as WS7III) for 9 gallons. For me that is plenty of life, as by that time I am bored of the engine and want a new one. This one happened to develop enough conrod slop at 9 gallons as to stall at high rpm.

Now I run a C6BB and honestly it is a kick ass engine, but definitely not needed for most at a club level. However, for your first or second nitro engine, I do not recommend buying an expensive race engine, as most at this time are still learning how to tune and maintain their engine.

Rody from RB recommends a conrod change every 1.5 gallons or so, and possibly a conrod change after break in, which I have done. It took me 4 engines to be comfortable tuning my engine for practice sessions vs race sessions.

As far as the engines you have mentioned, the S5 and S7 are "budget" motors, however there really is nothing "budget" about these engines as far as performance. The driver with a smoother throttle finger, and consistently fast laptimes is the one to win, not the one with a high end mill, unless its a POS engine

Remember, this is a hobby, buy what you want and can afford. RB engines are some of the highest caliber engines out there.