Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 PM
nashrcracer
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by gtrmx
Hi,

We are exploring the chance of starting the 1/12 class in our town.

I realize that speed comes with skill, but we are wondering what a starting point could be in terms of motors. We would like to use Novak brushless. What wind count should we use?? Obviously the lower turns the faster, but we want to keep control of the cars. I'd think 3.5 or 4.5 is probably too fast.

Havenīt seen these cars run other than in videos...

Any advice here is greatly appreciated!!
we have a loyal 12th following at our track and this year most of us are going to brushless 13.5 just for the maintance factor even though as it was you could go 2 or 3 weeks on a stock brushed motor before you really needed to turn it. the 13.5 is stupid fast on our 48x70 track I was turning 10.2 second laps on my xrat t2 and popped it in my crc tfource and kicked it down to 9.8 second laps. so it is faster. an alternative is going with a 17.5 if you want a spec version. looks like lrp and novak are starting to come out with those as most have noticed that a 13.5 should be about a 14.5 to really compete with stock. although a good driver with a brushed stock can outrun a bad driver most days with a 13.5. as for 12th scale as a class in general you have less parts as was said and then then parts are cheaper also. and the tires are cheaper and the batteries are cheaper as you only have 4 cells. all in all if you keep it stock or 13.5 it will be a cheap class. I honestly don't think you can put the tourqe power from a 10.5 down as I have my diff prettty tight just to keep from burning it up. the 13.5 will pull brushed out of a corner as it is all grunt. just remember to gear up a bit. I got my 78 tooth 64 pitch gears coming in next week when I get back from vegas.