R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Schumacher Corner
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 PM
andrewdoherty
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 49 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JayBee
Sure is buddy I'm using Chris G's setup also but with some differences- lowered frt & rear shock towers, 2.5mm bottom, 50% rebound in the frt shocks AND third holes on the shock towers frt/rear. This set-up is pretty frickin' awesome so far on our low bite/no groove carpet. BTW, I'm runnin' Magentas on all 4 corners
I got it all together tonight. Heres what I found works perfectly . . .

materials:
1 lowered shock tower
2 AE spring perches
2 xray springs
2 schumacher shocks
2 long ball grippa ball cups

Procedure:
Cut 2 ball grippa ball cups down to roughly 12 mm in total length(other sizes might also work but this is where I first cut them and they worked. See note at bottom **). Thread shortened ball grippas onto end of schumacher shocks until shock length is 61 mm fully extended from end of aluminum cap to end of ball grippa. This will require threading the shock shaft almost all the way into theball grippas. Install lowered shock tower, xray springs and ae spring perches. Install 60 mm pro 53 Parma magentas onto Mi3. Turn shock collars to acheive ride height. Set droop. Enjoy newly instaled lowered shock tower with foam appropriate ride height. FYI io checked ride height with all the new shock positions and I could get any ride height and droop combo I'd ever want with the above setup. From 0-5 mm droop and 2-8 mm RH with
59-60 ish mm tires

** The short ball grippas that come with the kit for the shocks are about 14.3 mm long end to end. A standard ball grippas (the ones used elsewhere on the car) are 19 mm long end to end. I chose to cut down longer ball grippas so I would always have the 14.3 mm kit ball cups to use when I go back to rubber tires. In the end I think Seaball had it right about the cups needing to be about 1 mm shorter than the kit shock ball cups. That would give a ball cup that is about 13 mm long. I don't doubt that JB's 10 mm ball cups also work, but I also can't see how his AE perches are not resting on the arm. I can tell that mine are actually resting on the arm at one point in the suspension travel. If it becomes a problem Ill just shim it back to the corect length as seaball suggested. In moving the suspension through its travel I don't think the cup moves enough for ME to worry about it. We'll se once I get it onthe track though. If I get a weird tweak I'll know why

Shoot me any questions ya got. Its kinda alte so I probably didn't exp[lain this as well as I coulldve.