R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Looking for inexpensive but good .21 engine
Old 09-09-2007, 12:13 PM
Rocket42
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by JeremyS
The Picco motors are by far my first pick of a motor. I started with a Picco P3 .28. I ran about 12-14 gallons through it. My race partner has had his in his truggy for over a year and has about 17-20 gallons through it. The only thing that either of us have ever done to them is replace the bearings after 1-2 gallons with ceramic bearings. TRUTHFULLY!!!!!!!!! The only thing I did not like about the .28, was it was hard to make a 5 min qual on one tank. When my .28 finnaly expired I decided to try the Picco P7R EVO. I am on my 4 or 5 gallon, and I love the motor. 8-9 min runtime, plenty of power, easy tune, consistent, longevity. From what I hear, the only difference between the EVO and the EVO 2 is a small change in crank timing and a massaging of the port timing for a little bit more top end. The EVO had alot of bottom and not so much top, (and when i say not so much top, i mean a very slight difference from the EVO 2). The changes were made to the EVO 2 to try and smooth out the power band for a more even and linear power band. The EVO 2 is going to be my next motor of choice, I may pick one up today from my LHS.
17-20 gallons without ever changing the rod, thats a little hard to believe.