R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - XTM Excellerator
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2007, 04:00 PM
Timmahh
Suspended

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

a new radio system personally.

but first. your friend mentioned it may need chrystals. chrystals is what is used via the radio system to talk to each other. one or both may be messed up if the antennas on both the radio and reciever in the car are ok.

chrystals can run from 10 to 20.00 a set ( one chrystal for the radio (also called th TX(tranxmitter), and one for the rx (reciever) in side the car.

your local HP store or other LHS should have these on teh shelf.
BUT see if another R/Cer in your area has a set you can try.
you ll need a set compatible with your AM radio in the 72.xxxxx frequency range.

if different/new chrystals don fix the problems ( which they may not ) i would suggest you find a GOOD new/used Radio system for it. the Radio system on most any RTR R/C is useable, but thats about it. reliable, glitch free, and adjustable are a few thing 99% of RTR R/CS just DONT have. unless you buy a New Team Losi R/C as they have Spektrum Radio systems which are very nice radios.

also, glitching can be cuaused my MANY things. Powerlines/trans former. electrical stations. Large phone switching stations, not to mention other things like atmospheric anomolies, Lightning and Storms, Cell Phone Towers, Radio Towers, as well as the run of the mill radio shack and walmart R/Cs can cause interferance with most standard rtr radio.
to understand how uncontrollable these glitch causing issues can be, turn an any am radio station during the next lightning storm. anything you hear that isnt music is interferance.

but these are only glitch causing possibilities. Due the number of possible sources, especially on an AM radio like the one you have, is to install a failsafe as noted above.

now for a bit more detail on another thing to look for on your car. some glitching can be cuased by your servo linkages rubbing eachother, or sliding on/next to another piece of metal in the car. if you find your linkages are touching metal, rubbing somewhere on metal, that rubbing metal can cuase interferance too. but i think you ll find this isnt the case, and personally i think you ll want to get a better radio.

now the ? is how much to spend and what to get. i suggest watcing EBay. you can find the Spektrum DX2 or DX2.0 pulled of a new Team Losi part out R/C from 75.00 to 150.00.

hth some and didnt cofuse you more.

Timmahh