R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - HPI Hellfire SS Kit Build & Long Term Review
Old 09-02-2007, 08:20 AM
johnboy8L
Tech Rookie

Madhacker, I totally agree with you about the SS. I had a Jammin last year and it felt "lazy" compared to how the SS handles. I'm sure I'll catch some flak for that statement.... The last race I was at, I was running third when the leader came up to lap me. I did the right thing and let him go, but I took the opportunity to try and hang with his Losi to compare my truck to his and see where I was losing ground. Found out I was losing ground in the driving department. I hung with him with about 2 min. to go. I passed him twice going into tight corners. A testament to what the steering clearence mods will do for you. When I clipped a pipe a few times is when he opened up the gap and started to get away again. Oh well. I run the Savage X SS diffs and have had no problems with the drivetrain. My only durabilty issue was a bent front shock shaft, and pins backing out of the flywheel. Otherwise, I've had no broken parts. More then a few of the Losi guys seem to be blowing out $100 throttle servos. Too much chassis flex going through the servo mount tray. And this wasn't one guy, it was 3 differnet guys. The SS gets a bad rap because of $20 diffs, and nobody say's a word about $100 servo's in the Losi. Seem's like the SS is a perrty cheap truck to maintain to me. I tried 30wt. oil in all four shocks and white rear and blue front springs. Truck was planted and very responsive. I'm gonna try same springs next round with 30 rear and 35 front. One last thing, before I got my SS, i borrowed a Mugen MB5XT from a buddy, and I now have my lap times with the SS equal to the Mugens... Good racing, my next round is the KAOS series on the 8th. I'll let you know how it goes, our last big race netted 40 truggies. I hope we get the same turnout so I can really see how the SS will fare. I got the Mugen to 12th, so We'll see.