R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2007, 02:45 PM
Scottrik
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 261 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JoeRocket
I am just bought my first 1/12. Our club runs 1/12 mod. I want to get a brushless system for it and would like to know which system is recommended. I was leaning toward the Novak GTB 4 cell 10.5 but wasn't sure if that will be fast enough for 1/12 mod.
Do yourself a HUGE favor and DON'T jump straight into Mod unless that is all that is run at your club.

Spend some time learning to set up and drive the car. You will get nothing but frustration, like many before you, and pack it in while proclaiming "1/12 SUCKS!!".

If your club races a Stock class, enter it. If you want to be a leg-up on everyone else start out with a Tamiya silver can motor. This frees the car up UNBELIEVEABLY and you can learn to drive it, maintaining speed as you concentrate on hitting your lines. Our experience with a silver can is it is almost EXACTLY a lap down in a stock race with decent drivers on both cars, but someone starting out in 1/12 will actually be faster with the silver can than with a stock motor. I've seen ONE guy ever that took to 1/12 with a stock motor and was fairly competitive from the get go.

What you will find is that unlike TC these cars are VERY responsive to set-up changes, either those made intentionally on your bench or those made accidentally hitting the boards.