R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 05-03-2003, 07:45 AM
rchotrod
Tech Apprentice

Default Re: diff building difficulties

Originally posted by rchotrod
I have built then rebuilt this xxx-s diff three times and still have a slight notchy feel. I used all new parts except the two ball bearings, the outdrives and diff screw. What's the trick to getting these diffs smooth? I have built diffs for other cars with no problems, but this one is giving me fits. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Rod
Well, here is what I have found on my last try last night. I took the two ball bearings out (the one in the pulley and one in the outdrive) and made sure they were absolutely cleaned out and re-oiled. Then I noticed that the thrust balls were out against the inside of the outdrive and have worn a slight but noticable groove. I am starting to think that is the problem, since plastic is softer than metal. Like I posted above all the diff balls are new carbide, new rings, new thrust balls and washers, even a new pulley.

The diff is usable, and probably won't make much difference on the track, I just like to build my diffs as smooth as they can be.

My xxx-s has a one-way in it now, and I like it, but I just want to have the option of using a diff on a tight track that needs alot of braking.

If someone out there could teardown a used xxx-s ball diff and look at their outdrive and see if it has the same groove. Maybe that would solve this mystery.

Thanks
Rod