R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Associated Factory Team TC5, Brushless, LiPo, Li-ion Nanophosphate, Tips and Tricks
Old 08-11-2007, 04:45 PM
John Stranahan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

I have decided to run the car light to give the speed control maximum chance at living in the Houston Heat. This requires some slightly different component places. I have tried this setup on the pan car and it worked well.

Front to back weight
It is often repeated that you want a 50-50 weight distribution for the best cornering. It is not often mentioned that it would be best if you had this 50-50 front to back loading on the tires while actually cornering rather than for the static case on the balance. To understand the difference you have to realize that on corner entry some weight will transfer forward from the deceleration of the car. Touring cars are low and long so the amount is small. I have also weighed some top drivers touring cars that have spent time adjusting weight fore and aft.
For the two reasons above and also because the car handles better and seems faster to me, I like to put about 2-3 ounces extra on the back of a touring car. With my current electronics and wishing to run the car light I plan to mount the speed control on top of the lowered battery strap. The receiver just aft of it. This gives me 2 ounces more on the back as shown in the first picture and also excellent side to side balance as shown in the second picture. Corner weights to come after I trim and solder things up.

Note that the chassis has two tiny holes centered on the shock tower. You can pick the car up with two points stuck in these two holes and lift the chassis. Both sides should lift at about the same time if you have good side to side weights.
John

The car is coming in at 46 ounces Ready to Race. 1 2s LiPo on board.

John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Front To Back Weight Resized.jpg
Views:	1216
Size:	151.5 KB
ID:	256355   Click image for larger version

Name:	Side To Side Weight 001 Resized.jpg
Views:	1151
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	256356  

Last edited by John Stranahan; 08-11-2007 at 06:40 PM.