R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - San Diego On-Road Racing
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 PM
Jon Kerr
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Well, the stink at SoCal got so bad they just banned drifting all together. Mainly because it's not good to have drift cars and race cars on the track at the same time. I'm not trying to make a drift vs. race thread out of this. I'm not into drifting but if that's your arena, fine. More power to you. More people involved in the hobby is always better.

And I understand what you're talking about with track conditions being the same for everyone. But when you're a hard core racer (and I like to think I am since that's all I do) traction is everything. I've said it for years, it's more fun to race each other than race the track. It's just like when tracks like SoCal would put in ridiculously stupid layouts that are like a maze. No place to pass and 3 foot wide lanes. That's not fun. It's the guy who hits the pipes the least wins. It's the same with traction. If you're fighting all day to get good grip, you're not really racing each other. I love parking lot racing. It's what I learned on road on and I mis it a lot and can't wait to get back at it. But I've been to some parking lot tracks that were just stupid loose. Bad enough the race directer decided not to go back there because even factory pros couldn't get around the track. Soda spraying is great as long as it's done well and not pooled up. And not having the best grip is no big deal. But I was at SoCal when they let the PVC clad cars go on the track and the conditions went from good grip to spinning out and your race car now looked like a drift car, with just 5 drifters up there for 5 minutes. Some of the drift guys had been running there with Yokomo tires and the only issue that came up was them being in the way and not moving during practice when a race car with a 7 turn came ripping around the track. So yes, the traction issue is only with the PVC tires as far as I know.

I'm all for you guys having a drift class. But please, keep it at a separate time so that you don't have race cars and drift cars on the track at the same time, and use the right tires so you don't effect the other racers.