R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Jammin X1 - so close yet so far
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Crocket
Tech Apprentice

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Jerseyboy
Hi Crocket
My basic setup on the X1 for diffs is 5-7-2.
Have you tried thicker setups?
I am thinking 10-20-2, if so what were your findings. Can one use this kind of setting on all types of tracks?
Hi Jerseyboy
Those diff oils you are suggesting are not suitable for Buggies; they are Truggy settings and are generally that high to stop the front tires getting all the power down the straight causing them to blow up like balloons.

I would suggest starting with 5F,7C,2R – if bumpy 5F,5C,2R and if really loose 3F,5C,3R

Front Diff Oil: - stick between 3,000k-7,000k - (or 10,000k Only on extreme flat high speed tracks)
If you want more steering entering the corner try running lighter oil (3,000wt buggy) this will give the car more off-power steering, which is better on tight tracks. Heavier oils (7,000-10,000wt buggy), will give your car better on-power steering and will help on higher speed tracks. You also have to consider how the diff affects the handling through bumps. Lighter oils (3,000wt buggy), are better for bumpy conditions. If the oil is too heavy it will make the car want to change direction or over-steer in the rough or rhythm sections.

Centre Diff Oil:- stick between 3,000k-10,000k
Lighter centre oils help the buggy track straight while accelerating (3,000-5,000wt). Running lighter oils in the centre has a negative effect on the acceleration. The lighter oil allows the power to be directed toward the front of the car and hamper acceleration out of corners.
If you're having trouble clearing jumps that are out of a slow corner, that could be a sign that the centre diff is too light, but for really bumpy sections having lighter oil in the centre will allow the car to accelerate better and straighter.

Rear diff oil: - stick between 2,000k-3,000k
Stick to 2,000-3,000wt. Lighter oil in the rear diff gives the vehicle more off-power steering, but can make the car or truck feel inconsistent around the track, especially in long racers.

And as Panther said - you cant go wrong with Chad Bradley’s Setup

I hope this has helped