R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi XXX-S
Thread: Losi XXX-S
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2001, 03:45 PM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

I agree on the HPI issue. The Pro 3 should never have been released in its current form. The car Hara has been driving is so far from the production version it's a joke. We're not just talking a "Team" version of the car with graphite and aluminum parts, we're talking different geometry and handling characteristics.

When I saw the prototype Pro 3 I thought it was a great theoretical design, and I almost ordered one myself. But they made some major design errors with the car, and on top of that they produced a kit with little value compared to what else is out there. Sure, you can get it cheap, but how much do you have to spend to make it compete? When and if they do release the parts that Hara is using, how much would it cost to upgrade to that version of the car? Probably as much as a whole new kit.

I have nothing against HPI. My first TC was a RS4 Pro and I did well with it. They have been a great innovative company in the past, but they made a major mistake in billing the Pro 3 as a competition-class TC when it was nowhere close. Ironically, the Pro and Pro 2 were quite competitive out-of-the-box (compared to other cars of their day) when HPI was not targeting the same market.