R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2007 ROAR ON ROAD ELECTRIC NATIONALS - *** VENUE CHANGE ***
Old 05-18-2007, 08:43 AM
EddieO
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Guys, please don't slam ROAR......its pretty much my fault and I am extremely sorry.

I planned on closing Peel-It down at the end of July, the only reason I was keeping it open till then was to honor my comittment to running the event there. When I informed the owner that the track would be shutting down, he was a bit upset as he trying to sell the building, which is hard with a lease getting terminated. He asked me to vacate sooner than later so he could fill the spot ASAP....so, I could of tried to move it to a parking lot, but we still have a massive problem with hotels......they are simply sold out entirely in the two towns (arlington and marysville) because of the Arlington Fly-In, which is the 3rd largest fly in in the nation.

Doug was going to be the Race Director at my place anyways, so it's mainly just a track change.

So I suggested to Dawn to talk to SIR, a ROAR approved track about hosting the event at his track. His track is literally minutes away from the Airport......I think like 10. It will take you longer to get to baggage claim than it will to get to the track. And because of this, there is literally a TON of hotels within minutes of the track at good prices. I had hoped maybe he could hold it outside cause his track isn't as big as normally used for paved nats, but its not as small as people make it out to be. The track is a blast to run on and everyone will have a good time.

I checked with the Airlines.....a canceled event is not grounds for a refund or switch in flight without charge (I called Alaska, NW, Delta, and United, along with a local travel agent).....only a family emergency or injury is. So making 40+ people change flights at $50+ per person was a bit steep....especially since there was a local track that could host the event.

And lastly......please keep in mind, Peel-It was the ONLY applicant for Paved Nats.....I was flat out told that if a midwest or east coast track applied, the event would go to them to keep the east coast/west coast thing going every other year. Nobody applied, even after they contacted tracks after the deadline to apply.....

Again, I am truely sorry for this, but I had to do what was best for the event....

Later EddieO