R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Tim K
Tech Regular

M03R - track test.

I drove mine for the first time yesterday. At first I drove it in its "out of the box" setup, only changes were - uni's and I ran 60D type A's up front and pit shimizu 27 slicks on the rear. The car was great, very stable, just a bit of understeer. I felt sure it was going to traction roll with the standard ride height setup, but it didn't. The downside to it being so stable is that it felt slow through the twisty part of the track, especially compared to my other mini.
The out of the box setup gives you toe in on the front wheels, so I dialled in more toe out, but it still didn't seem to steer as fast as what I've been used to. So I dialled in more and more. It helped, but it was still too stable.
So I switched to smaller tires - pit shimizu inner mesh, medium compound up front and soft compound on the rear - oh yeah!

Loads more turning, car is much twitchier now but a lot faster through the twisty parts of the track. Car now feels more like I'm used to … and on those tires - really dialled!
I'm going to switch to a ball diff for the race this Sunday to see how it feels. I really want to change the shocks as I don't like how sloppy the mounting feels, but the car is working well so perhaps I'll just leave it for now.