R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Team Losi JRXS Type-R
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 05:58 PM
squarehead
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 429racer
Hey Todd thanks for the reply! Is there a specific brand and where I should get the denatured alcohol from? Is that like rubbing alcohol? I have been using lighter fluid, but it seems like it does not clean the tires off enough. I hate to bug you about this but what is your tire method of prepping using alcohol?

Denatured alcohol can be purchased by the quart from Home Depot or Lowes. I pour it into a cheap spray bottle (also from Home Depot) and use it to clean everything from gummy tires, to white scuffed wheels, to bodies before they are painted. Works great on just about everything and doesn't harm plastics.

We had the foam tire issue last winter in 12th scale, and found that one compound harder in tires helped, as well as not using Paragon on the tires for more than the time it takes to apply them to all of the tires and wipe them off. The problem isn't your car or tires, it's the carpet on the track, and the amount of compound and rubber in it.

I also had good luck using Goop/GoJo hand cleaner on the tires, just to open the pores and soften them up. They didn't get as sticky and messy as the Paragon made them.

And I found that lighter fluid works the best to clean that gummy mess off without drying out the tires.