R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2007, 05:31 AM
muahdib4
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by Graphitedust
Just checked out a new carpet track in my area. Does anyone have a baseline carpet set-up they would be willing to share? Most likely will be running Tamiya tires and the mighty Mabuchi....

I'm an experienced racer, but totally new to carpet. Any help or generalities are appreciated!
A lot will depend on the grip on carpet and different things work for different people. On my SWB M03 I run...

TRF Shocks (optional) Super CVA Mini Shocks work great too
Ride height: 3.5mm front and rear
Shock Oil: 35 weight front and rear
Springs Front: White Tamiya Short Tuned (not from set)
Springs Rear: Red Tamiya Short Tuned (not from set)

Tires Front: S-Grip
Tires Rear: M-Grip

Stabilizer Front: Silver
Stabilizer Rear: NONE

Differential: Gear Diff works great on Carpet. Shim it with 4xMA9, that's the large washer in the kit...put 2 on EACH side of the diff and tighten it down. There should still be a little diff action but it will be really tight allowing for better acceleration out of corners. Run the Diff dry with MAYBE a quick squirt of silicon oil but just a little.

With Tires, experiment there. My setup is working for me but another guy at the track runs M-Grips up front and Type A slicks in the back and that works well for him. Some of that will depend on your driving style. Same with springs. Some use the Blue Tamiya Short Tuned (not from set) in the front instead of the harder white.