R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2007, 04:42 PM
minidriver
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Difuser
For the tires I do not have heaps of carpet experience here. David Weir who posted above is the man there. He is a regular at Trackside along with one whose hat is always there in the Nationals game. What I have found in the past is the the worse the tire the better the grip. I found the Mgrip tire on the rear and an S or A to be the hot ticket at Worlds. This was on the M04M. For insert I liked the black foam front and rear. It just sucked I found this in the last Main as the track changes so much over the 4 days that it is very tough to understand the car.

With Trackside allowing compound this might change a touch but it should be pretty similar.
Many thanks for the compliment, diffuser.

Yep, IMO, M's in the rear is the ticket for either M03 or M04 on carpet. Generally I use a decent air gap in the rear, thus I tend to favor the now discontinued black shaped m inserts (I still have a couple pair, I keep reusing them). A close equivilent is to take a 24mm black sedan shaped insert and cut it down in length to match the now discontinued mini insert. Width is fine.

On carpet, when traction can get quite high and can induce roll over tendencies, I think the key is a very full tire up front - a trick I learned from Diffuser. No air gap, solid sidewall tire (by stuffing the tire with insertS)- keeps the front tire sidewall from flexing over, which is what seems to induce the roll.