R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya mini cooper
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2007, 04:37 PM
tamiyarcracer
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Drifter
Hi Folks!

Many years ago I had a Monte Carlo Cooper M01 and really loved it. Hoping to have that kind of fun again, I just ordered a Suzuki Swift .
Now surfing this thread and rc-mini.net (great page, thanks!) I learned, that the Tamiya aluminum king pins 53141 wont fit. Are there any other aluminum kingpins, either from a different Tamiya kit or a other manufacturer that would fit?
I want to use some tuningparts right from the beginning (blue TRF shocks, Tech Racing Universals and Steering kit, TA03 Diff, Ball bearings everywhere, SS Suspension Shaft Set) and I am wondering if I should use the Tamiya hollow carbon gear shaft set, or the Tech Racing blue aluminum one. Any tips?
Are the Suzuki wheels good, or should I buy different wheels for my other tires? What about the ABC Wheels?
On the pictures the Swift looks funny, the wheels beeing much to far inside the wheelarches. What is the best way to bring therm further out? Are there wider hex adaptors available, if yes, from which company?
I am investing in all those parts imidiately because I have to order from HK, and want to get everything shipped in one parcel, so that I dont have to pay shipping cost more than once. Unfortunately there is almost nothing available localy except the kit .
It will get good electronics: KoPropo PDS949ICS Servo if it fits and KoPropo KR301F Receiver. On the ESC/Motor I am undecided, either a LRP Quantum 2 or Novak GTX Speed Control with a brushed motor with probably 21-19 turns or a brushless system if I can find something that suits the Suzuki. I am thinking about a 5-cell setup using a LRP one-star motor, but I think this will still be to strong.

I wont have the time for using it much, but I want it to be as good as a Mini can get, so your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks and have fun with your Minis!
Bernd
Your other option on a king pin is, the 414M king pin kit (50986 need 2) uses a regular screw with a bushing
In my experiance anything more than a black can is almost too much start with the kit motor. The kit is designed for a stick pack so I'm not sure a 5 cell would work. I have the KO VFS1 in mine and it works great. You'll want to get the 6 bearings to complete the kit 2qty 8mm x 5mm & 4qty 11mm x 5mm. The carbon shafts are most likely lighter.Tamiya make a 6mm hex, and you can use a 1 mm spacer on top of that, there is a kit with shallow wheel nut that might allow you more spacing. THe swift wheel are plenty strong. they however are about a gram heavier than the other Tamiya wheels. Also a note, the body is great, you might find that you want to slam the body, therefore widening the track will tend to give you wheel rub.