R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Revive onroad club racing...how about a nostalgia class??
Old 01-04-2007, 09:21 PM
Justinian
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sosidge
Why not just put a vintage style body on your own touring car? You don't have to run a race shell or do lots of tuning just because the others at the track do.

I think that licensing is becoming more and more of a factor in Vintage bodies. To do a body right (ie not have to call it a Purshh 917) is pretty costly. Plus the demand for an early 70s GT body is pretty limited compared to a current sports model.

It's funny about the licensing thing.... There are plenty of Porsche and Ferarri sports car bodies being built, but no prototype or vintage bodies..... you would think the licensing issues wouldn't be much different between the two types of bodies... You would also think if that was an issue, the slot car manufactures would also have problems with this....yet their selection is vastly greater...??

It would be interesting to hear from someone "in the know" at HPI to see how well their vintage shells are doing marketwise.... If they're making money off of them and are selling enough, perhaps the demand is more than we think....???

Since there isn't a 63 Corvette Grandsport body available, I purchased a RAE 63 Corvette 10th scale pro mod drag body just to see if it would fit my XXX-S. I may have to fasion some makeshift flares for it, but it appears it will fit... It should also fit on the F103GT that I'm going to be building soon. I'm going to cut the hoodscoop off of it and keep the rear deck, since cutting that would ruin the line of the car. Making it a roadster wouldn't ruin the line, but I'd need to fasion a filler piece of lexan to replace the trunk portion...I don't have anywhere near the skills necessary to do that I'll finish it off with a set of HPI 5 spoke chrome wheels (the narrow ones...not the vintage ones..) and takeoff 27s all around. At least I'll have something different and fun to run at the track.... may not have a class to run it in, but oh well.... I have offroad for that type of stuff

Oasis, my first ever hobby RC car was a Parma 1/10th scale fiberglass pan car...circa 1989 or 1990 ID say..? I used a Novak Speedo, a 7 cell nicad saddle pack, a Losi Brutus 16X3 (I think that was the wind) mod motor, and a 10th scale TOJ body with the big wing attached to the wing tubes. It had small little springs up front, silicone tubing for suspension in the rear (no shocks at all..) and was crazy fast even with the big foam donuts they used to come with... But I was running it on the street, since there were no tracks where I was at the time.... so I ended up getting rid of it after only a few months

I got a 12th scale car recently, but that thing is very, very touchy You have somthing just slightly off, and the thing will push to one side or the other and handle poorly. Since I've been in off road, I don't have a setup board yet (and don't know how to use one really..) so I'm struglling with that...

Also the foam tires are very fragile if you hit something, like I do all the time Back in the day I wasn't on a track with big burms and curbing, so I rarely chunked the tires...but now, I go through a set in a race night...talk about pricey

I'd try a 10th scale pan car again, and probably put a Lipo saddle pack in it and see how it would run.... but the foam tires still would worry me

Keep up the responses, I would like to see more input...especially regarding body types and making CLUB RACING more enjoyable....