R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2006, 12:49 PM
R40Victim
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well, the servo issue, while not comepletely sorted, seems to be greatly reduced by using the rubber spacers that come with all servos to reduce vibration. I heat shielded mine with some thick double stick tape(the type with a foam core). Since then, the Z590 has been fine.

With the shocks, I just let the lock-tite set up and dry for 24 hours, no problems there. Mine haven't leaked any more than average shocks, I checked a few days ago and they were nearly full(I lost maybe 2-4%)

The clutch issues are no more then an average clutch. My front bearing(standard clutch size) let go, and I didn't catch it in time(was really focused on trying to sort a traction/steering problem, turned out it was my tires). You can go back a few pages and see the pics. While it looks terrible, it really was just one bearing that caused the whole failure. From what I'm told, clutch bearings can last from half a gallon to maybe 1. Mine lived almost 2, so not bad really.

As far as the starter box issues are concerned. I set up my old, cheap universal Ofna box once, and it's been perfect ever since. The only mod to the car, was opening up the flywheel hole a bit, took me 5 minutes with a dremel...piece of cake!

Only parts I would stock up on is normal wear and tear stuff. Clutch shoes/bearings, maybe an assortment of diff lubes, ect... I ordered the King Headz shoes, a local uses them, and they work VERY well. I found the larger bearings for the clutch at A-main for a really good price. 10 for $10!...can't beat that. The other bearing is the same size that's in most other clutches, your LHS should have those.

Take your time, follow the instructions, and read through the posts, you'll find lots of helpful info to get it race ready. So far, 3 or 4 locals have converted, after seeing mine and a few others run the track...you won't be dissappointed.