R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2006, 05:20 AM
cwalters
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

There is a major difference between exhaust wrap and the foiled heat tape that I think is being described above. The exhaust wrap tape is the brown, cloth like stuff that is actually designed to keep the heat in your pipe. The foil tape acts as a reflection to heat, thus keeping things around from heating up. That is the stuff that you can buy at the local home building stores. I believe that the shiny stuff I have is actually used in heating and cooling to tape up flex ducts. You can layer it on the side case of the servo facing the motor and hopefully reflect that heat away from your servo case.

As for the cheaper servos, I've run those JRs for a long time and never had good luck with the cheaper 590s so you're not the only ones. The motors in them just give up after awhile. I always run them for throttle in my AD2. After awhile they just seem to pass away. I've got quite a pile of them. Most servos may be "metal gear servos" but most still have one plastic gear inside. Heat the metal ones around that gear and they can bind, thus causing your motor to overwork itself and die. Much like if you have your epa set too far. You just overwork them.

I'm still a Losi guy at heart, I run a gas truck still and I almost bought an Eight just decided to stay with the Mugen for 1/8. Sorry if I stepped on your toes Aaron. I know you're a Losi guy, just thought I'd spice it up a little.

This damn hobby can be frustrating when things don't go as planned. It's great to see everyone helping each other out- especially in time of need. Just my .02 on the tape, hopefully you all can figure the servo thing out.