R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - new ofna DM1 pics and thoughts :):)
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
dremelboy
Tech Adept

hello vadn1

good question and one i cant give you good answer on yet, tomorrow will be the first day of actual testing here at the shop. while the weight of the car is a bit of a concern i think a proper setup centax canwork well for you in this kit, i know really hgh rpm launches probably from the clutch will probably eat up the shoe and spit the weights rather quickly, but again something we will have to see with time

i have been in contact with jeffrie lynn of ofna and he has also retrofitted a centax in the car, according to him its been good, but ill give you a better idea come monday. we have a whole assortment of shoes here reary for trying so time will tell.

as for the brakes, the preproduction kit we drove had the fiber pads installed and this kit has the semi metallic pads bonded to the steel plates and it uses a single hyper 8 brake disk for the actual brake so it all looks pretty beefy to me.

the one concern i have had myself is the center diff mount the brake screws thread into, if you are using the brakes hard and often i am concerned with heat allowing the brake screws to back out of the mounts, again, time will tell.

the dremeling of the chassis wasnt too bad, took about 10 minutes with my digital dremel and a carbide cutting but from dremel and waaaa laaaa, i basically had to bring the hole forward about 3mm, was a bit messy with shavings all over the place but i prefer to have the centax style clutch in the kit.

the motor mounts i used are the ones from the ultra series, ofn 30480 to be exact, i could of used the stock mounts but in order to use the centax and get everything to line up correctly i admit i had to do some creative spacing

if you are going to use a non pullstart motor everything is easy to modify or retrofit into the car, if you are going to use a rotostart or a pullstart its going to be a bit more involved, we are working on a solution for that one right now but wont have all the details worked out until next week midweek.

if you are looking for more detailed pics just send me your email addy and ill be happy to send you the high res pics of how it all went together

more pics will be posted tonight

thanks

kevin