R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - Losi 8ight building and setup
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2006, 08:05 PM
TonysScrews
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tex1
A couple of things.
I measured the balance with the tank half full. Now I do have 95359 servos on both controls. They are very heavy. I could loose alot of weight in the throttle servo.

Also the plastic the screws are securing will break before an 8-32 aluminum screw will. I'm using them to hold in the radio tray and to hold in my switch and servos. I need some titanium screws for the 5-40 stuff. Those are high stress areas with minimal screw diameter.

FYI - I looked into a metric equivalent and there isn't one. 5-40 is 4.1 mm diameter and 4m is just shy of that.

I may put the Lipo in, drop the switch and change the throttle servo. A $6.00 MPI kit would also allow me to cut allof the wires to length. That is actually a lot of savings there.

Arron I did change the springs out in my clutch. I went with the green black combination in .036 diameter wire. I'll write in after the races tonight.

<----- not finished yet!
TEX
Actually, 5-40 screws have a .125 thread diameter (3.175mm). If you're going into new plastic, and the holes are no bigger than 2.5mm, then you can use 3mm screws no problem.

Titanium screws are brittle and strip out easy. The weight savings ain't worth the price and quality of the screws. You'd be better off going to a lighter Rx pack (maybe a LiPo) and you'll save more weight than you ever would swapping out quality steel screws for aluminum or titanium. You could also lose the steel turnbuckles for some Lunsford Racing titanium turnbuckles.

Anyone that knows me, knows that I was an anal weight freak with my LiteRace T-Maxx. I'm pretty sure I had the lightest T-Maxx ever. BUT, losing too much weight is not such a great thing. For one, your setup will be much different than most other guys, so it'll mke comparing notes harder. Losing weight in the drive train (reciprocating mass will help acceleration and run time). Losing weight at the end of the arms (wheels, tires, knuckles, pillowballs...if the car uses them) will reduce unsprung weight for better traction and rough track handling. Losing weight in the cooling head helps reduce a lot of weight thats got a high CG. But swapping out stronger screws for lighter, weaker ones doesn't yield any advantage in any place that even Scott Hughes or Adam Drake could tell the difference.....LOL Personally, I'd save your money for fuel, tires and other more valuable stuff.

Best regards,