R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2006, 02:04 PM
Slapmaster6000
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

My diff building process is so simple, it's mind boggling. No voodoo, dead chickens or vice grips & drill presses. I use plain old notched or D rings and carbide balls. You don't want your diff rings to slip on your hubs, ever. Carbides are expensive "once". You wont buy them again for many years unless you loose them. I have this little red tub of grease that stinks that for some reason I am fond of for diff lube. It is a little sticker then Asc diff lube, but the Asc is just fine. Just a tiny dab on each ball and assemble the diff. Because there is no longer a spring in the diff, you need to sneak up on the tension a little more cautiously. Grab both tires and try to slip the spur. If it makes your thumb hurt... it's tight enough! Go run the car some. If you hear the diff squeal even once, thighten it a tick. After a few race days, you may need to tighten one more time. Why, because the carbides will be cutting a very shallow smooth groove into your plates. You want this! It adds a little more surface area to the rings for the balls to adhere to. It's likely your diff will get better feeling with age. I have two diff's with the same balls and plate that are over 3 seasons old running mod power through them and then my baby diff that is only 1 year old. All three are like glass with this process. I never work on them... unless I get spurred having fun
Brian