R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 2006 International Indoor Championships @ Las Vegas, Nevada
Old 09-26-2006, 01:04 AM
futureal
R/C Tech Founder

Originally Posted by minidriver
One small suggestion for next time - it was a bit weird to see the race results section updated before the video feed comes through - Scotty would be calling "last lap for it all" and the suspense was "ruined" in seeing the scoring software post the race final results. Had to try hard not to cheat and avoid looking at the scoring software part of the screen. I sure am not computer proficient enough to figure out why that was, multiple service providers??
Yea, ideally this would be the case, but it's not particularly doable unless we introduced some specific delay in the scoring, but that seems kind of counterproductive.

Basically, you have three different sets of data going to your computer: the video/audio stream, the scoring data, and the chat data. Each one is from an independent source, and each one comes at a different rate. I was able to get the scoring delay down to about 6-8 seconds off of real time, which was great. The video, however, needs a 4-6 second buffer on most computers to play correctly, and there is a second or two of encode delay. And on choppier connections, the buffer time needs to be longer. Plus we really can't control it, and the delay is different on just about everybody's computer.

At some point I may be able to encapsulate all of that into one applet with the data time coded to each frame, but that would require people to download some sort of applet/plugin, which would present a whole new set of security problems. I have another year now to tinker with new ideas and stuff, we'll see what happens for the next one.