R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 01-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Concillian
Tech Initiate

Originally posted by Stevie
why im asking this is because when i race at the u.k nationals,the top guys are doing 5+laps than what im doing,but if say i had the driving skills to do that,my battery's would dump because has i am now,when i finnish a race theres not much power left,
With good driving skill and car setup you carry more speed through corners.

With higher entrance and exit speeds you are using less power, with a higher exit speed, the same motor is under less load and will use less current, even at full throttle. This translates to a more efficient run ... faster for the same power.

Motors use more current at high load, if your speedo has a torque limiter, you can demonstrate this by turning the torque limit to 15-20A or so, then punch it, you'll notice it takes a lot longer to hit full speed, but your top speed (in a long enough straight) won't change, since current used at high speed is much lower than accelerating.

So these guys don't necessarily have incredible batteries, just incredible skill, setup, lots of practice, etc...

Of course, good batteries don't hurt either just don't always assume that's what makes these guys run so well.

Last edited by Concillian; 01-29-2003 at 04:43 PM.