R/C Tech Forums - View Single Post - 1/12 forum
Thread: 1/12 forum
View Single Post
Old 09-09-2006, 05:27 PM
SlowerOne
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by rogtsaamokin
Hey guys what about balance??? Placement of electrics? How does everyone do it, or do you not pay attention to that detail?

Rogtsaamokin
I appreciate everyone worries about it, but to a limited extent it is not worth worrying about.

The chassis we use is pivoted in the middle, so unbalance at the back doesn't affect the front. If you put a 2 ounce weight on one side of the rear pod, the 'coin drop' test will still work OK. Similarly, if you put a 2 ounce weight on one side of the chassis, you could still get the 'coin drop' test to work.

I've simply stuck to a reasonable layout where the speedo is on the left to try to balance the offset servo, and the receiver is as close to the middle as I can get it. Compared to the cells, they are miniscule amounts of weight, and since the chassis is articulated in the middle, it matters less.

I didn't see one of the IFMAR Worlds A finalists balancing a car side-to-side, and some of them fitted receiver packs during qualifying, and others swapped their NiCad packs for LiPo during the meeting - no balancing machines in sight! If there were a problem here, everyone would run the same layout because all the kit we use is roughly the same - but you see lots of different layouts with recever packs and LiPo regulators everywhere. Don't sweat it.